Studying politics and international relations is not for the faint of heart. These seemingly similar subjects cater to varying interests of individuals who are looking for careers in politics. But how do you choose which one is best for you?
Political studies focus on subjects such as domestic policies, national affairs, political theory, other concepts, and ideologies. In some curriculums, a degree in politics also means you will learn about economics as well as history. A degree in politics is perfect for you if:
- You are keen to learn about theories that influence political ideologies such as applies to human rights.
- You are widely interested in the politics of a certain nation.
- You are looking at a lucrative career in politics, especially in the public sector.
On the other hand, studying international relations means your focus is on issues affecting foreign affairs. If studying politics focuses on one country, international relations aim to understand the relationship between different countries. You should study international relations if:
- Your interest is in issues that affect the world, and not one country in particular.
- You are thinking about a career as a diplomat.
- You are interested in subjects related to international relations.
Each of these fields of study has specializations according to what you want to focus on and become an expert in. Choosing the right specialization will also lead you to your dream career in politics and international relations.
Top universities around the world for studying politics and international relations
When it comes to finding the best universities around the world to study these courses, there are a lot to choose from. Wherever you are in the world, you can find a top-notch university which offers political and international studies.
- MGIMO. This university is located in Moscow, Russia and is widely considered one of the best institutions in the country for studying international law and political science. The Patokh Chodiev Foundation also provides extensive support to this university by offering scholarship and internship programs.
- Harvard University. If you are looking for the best, then look no further than Harvard. In 2017, it ranked first on the list of top universities for politics and international studies.
- The University of Oxford. Heading to the other side of the pond, the University of Oxford also offers outstanding programs in politics and international relations.
- Seoul National University. In Asia, South Korea is home to a large number of top universities offering courses in politics. Seoul National University ranked 29th, while Korea University ranked 42nd.
- Australia National University. If you want to study in Australia, Australia National University holds the 6th spot in the list of top schools for studying politics and international relations. Aside from this, other top Australian universities also made the list, the University of Sydney and the University of Melbourne.
These outstanding educational institutions often accept students coming from different countries around the world. If you want a truly immersive experience, why not study abroad in one of these universities and earn your dream career in politics and foreign relations.