My buddy Girish Navani and I moved into a flat together about 6 years ago and we had to scratch together the money for the security deposit which was $1000. Now things may have changed at this point but back then both Girish Navani and myself didn’t have a great deal of money. There was a running joke at the time about the fact that we wanted to get it back upon leaving which would be a challenge given that Girish is slightly clumsy. I ended up moving out a year later and Girish gave me the half, his next 5 years would be a catalogue of disasters which threatened the deposit.
Whist there was some plumbing work going on in the apartment complex where Girish lives, they limited the water use to 5-10 in the morning and 6-11 at night. One morning Girish was alarmed when he was woken up by his dog going crazy, he placed his foot out of the bed and splash, there was water on the floor. As Girish opened up his bedroom door he was greeted by the sight of a small swimming pool where his laminate flooring once was. Girish set to work drying the floor, which took days, and afterwards we had to review the damage. The laminate slats were uneven and spongy, forcing Girish Navani to invest in having some new flooring put down, at cost of $350.
The Collapsing TV
Girish Navani began to work on a new project which he had which was a medical software app and when he got his first check for the project, he decided to go out and get a huge TV. I actually went with him and helped him to put the TV on the wall using those brackets that screw in. The following day Girish sent me a photo of the television, damaged and on the floor, covered in concrete, it had fallen off. Thankfully for Girish Navani the television only had some scratches on it but the wall had a huge hole in it. To patch it up and paint it cost him another $100, so far he still had $550 of his deposit left after the cost of the flooring.
I can remember very well that Girish used to have this knackered old phone charger which had the protective plastic stripped from it, leaving only exposed metal. Girish used to charge his phone at night when he went too bed and one day things went very badly indeed. He woke up to the smell of smoke and saw a small electrical fire in the corner of his room. He managed to put it out with some shaving foam and he went to switch off the electric. What had happed was that the plug had left the socket ever so slightly and the cable had made contact with the metal plug, causing a spark and then the fire. He had to have new electrical cables installed, a new plug socket and repair the wall, so all in all he had to pay $300, surprisingly his phone was still working.
And so Girish has spent $750 on these errors, which means that he still has $250 left in the bank for his security deposit, if he is able to avoid any more issues.
If you want to learn more about our blog, please click here.